Due October 31, 2015
21st Annual SPE Women’s Film & Video Festival
The Society for Photographic Education (SPE) Women’s Film Festival has featured innovative and provocative short documentaries, animation and fiction by women directors since 1995. The 2016 festival will be screened in Las Vegas, NV, on Friday and Saturday, March 11 & 12, at the 2016 SPE National Conference.
Narrative, documentary, animated and experimental shorts under 30 minutes, directed, produced, edited or shot by a woman are eligible. All rights must be cleared.
There is no entry fee for submissions received by 11:59 PM, October 31, 2015. Early submissions appreciated. Preference will be given to films submitted by the October 1, 2015. Late submissions will be accepted until November 8, 2015, with an entry fee of $15. To submit late, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
Email a web link to the full video to email@example.com. If password protected, include password
Email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org with WFF16 as the subject line.
– contact information (name, address, email and telephone number)
– short (no more than 3 sentences) film synopsis
– short director’s bio (no more than 2 sentences)
– awards and festival screenings
– exact running time (do not count color bars, black, etc.)
Accepted filmmakers must provide a Quicktime H.264 file at the original dimensions, up to 1920px x 1080px, by Nov. 18.
All selected work will be screened at the conference plus films will be streamed 24-7 Thursday-Sunday over the hotel TV channel to conference participants’ rooms.
Filmmakers may submit different work to more than one SPE Film Festival (Women’s Caucus Film Fest, Multi-Cultural Caucus Film Fest, LGBTQ Caucus Film Fest) but the same video cannot be submitted to multiple SPE fests.
Congratulations to Texas Woman’s University Alumna, Rachael Banks, for having her work Bo Jackson, Atwood Alley, and Accidents selected for the On Fruited Plains exhibition in Louisville, KY at the University of Louisville Schneider Hall Galleries. This exhibition is in conjunction with the SPE Midwest Regional Conference. The exhibition runs from October 1 through 31, 2015.
Exhibition Dates: October 1 – 31, 2015
Opening Reception: October 1, 2015 | 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Rachael is a Louisville, KY native who is living and working in Dallas, TX. She received her Master of Fine Arts degree in photography from Texas Woman’s University and Bachelor of Arts degree in photography and painting from Bellarmine University in Louisville, KY. Currently, Rachael is working as adjunct faculty at Texas Woman’s University and El Centro College in Dallas, TX.
Due: October 15, 2015
THE SOCIETY FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC EDUCATION STUDENT AWARDS FOR INNOVATIONS IN IMAGING
All SPE student members are eligible to apply for a scholarship to offset the cost of attending SPE’s 2016 national conference. Ten awards are offered based on merits of submitted portfolios and include a $550 travel stipend to attend the national conference, a 2016 national conference fee waiver, and a one-year membership to SPE.
• Applicants must be current, matriculated undergraduate or graduate students enrolled at a post-secondary institution majoring/concentrating in photography and not graduating before the end of the academic year 2015-2016.
• Applicants must be student members of SPE or become members before submitting their scholarship applications. Visitspenational.org to join or renew your membership.
• Applicants are not eligible to receive scholarship awards for two consecutive years.
This year’s jurors are SPE national board members serving on the Awards and Recognition Committee: Bill Gaskins (Chair), Sonseree´ Gibson, Mark Malloy, and Arno Rafael Minkkinen.
ONLINE APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Submit online via spenational.slideroom.com. There is a $10 fee for submitting a portfolio. If you need technical support, please email@example.com.
PREPARE TO SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING
• A cohesive body of work with no more than FIVE images. Images around 1280 x 1280 px @ 72 ppi are ideal for good image quality and fast upload.
• A clear and concise introductory statement that details the conceptual, technical, and aesthetic concerns, issues, influences or questions that your work explores (350 words maximum, approx. 2,100 characters).
• A statement addressing how attendance at the conference will benefit you, as well as an overview of prior involvement with SPE or other arts organizations.
• A brief resume, including name, address, phone number, email address and current institutional affiliation, and educational and professional experience.
• Contact information for a current photography professor (includename, title, email, and phone number).
Applications that do not fulfill all requirements may be eliminated from the competition. Click here to view the official call for entries.
Deadline to apply is October 15, 2015, at 11:59 PM EST.
Direct inquiries to the SPE national office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit spenational.org/conferences for additional conference information.